Monday, September 17, 2012

50 Days of My Life: Part 1 of 50


Got his idea from Pang Preggo and the thought is to share 50 days of your life that has meant something to you in one way or another. I thought it might be a fun way to share a little more about myself and also a way for me to put in print some of the days that I don't want to forget. I've chosen to focus on the positive memories, because despite valuable life lessons coming from negative ones, it's the good ones that I truly want to remember. Here's the first one:

April 17, 2009:

Andrew and I had went on a long weekend to San Juan Island in northern WA. We stayed at a nearly empty campground (it rained pretty much the whole time, so technically we ended up staying in our car as much as in our tent), our sole neighbor a lonely one-legged man with a huge, friendly pitbull-mastiff mix. The second day, we went on a kayak tour with hopes to see some orcas. It had actually stopped raining and we enjoyed being the only people on the tour (probably also due to the rain and the cold), but had only spotted some whales very far away. We broke for lunch at a rocky beach and sat down facing the ocean. All of a sudden, a large bumpy thing emerged out of the water some 30 yards off shore. It took me a second before I realized that I was watching a humpback whale come up for air. It only lasted a moment, but the goosebumps I got from seeing such a giant up close stayed with me for quite a while. Even our guide seemed amazed at having seen such a large whale so close to shore. Cheesy as it sounds, I felt very privileged. 






1 comment: