Saturday, September 15, 2012

Shame

When I walk into the local unemployment office (arbetsformedlingen), I always sort of hope that nobody I know will see me and when I'm in there I have an intense urge to explain myself. I just want to say something like: "Well, you know, I'm not like the rest of the people here. I actually have an education and work experience and this whole unemployment thing is just sort of a little snag I'm working through". And then I wonder why I feel this way. Where are these feelings of shame coming from and why does it make me feel less crappy to wrongfully assume that I'm somehow better than the other poor souls in there? I'm not sure, but I don't like it.  

Speaking of shame, the other night I was thinking to myself that maybe I should just apply for a cashier job at an outlet store where I used to work before I met Andrew. Then, I realized that they probably wouldn't hire me seeing my degree on my CV, thinking I will just ditch them the first chance I get, so I would need to take that out and replace it with just my high school diploma. And then, I thought: "Have I gone mad!? I worked way too hard for that to take it out!".

So, I guess I'll keep on trucking, my CV remaining intact. I do still have hope. It seems improbable that I wouldn't eventually find something. 

Andrew hasn't heard anything either, in case you're wondering. 

On our way to the park this morning.
Also, for those of you who speak Swedish, I found this post which raises some other issues concerning unemployment:

2 comments:

  1. Åh jag vet PRECIS hur du menar!

    Jag har inte skrivit in mig på arbetsförmedlingen än, för jag är så himla rädd att bli tvungen att ta ett skitjobb, antar att jag tycker min frihet är mer värd än så. Men det är dumt, jag vet. Ingen inskrivning inga pengar. Alla ens ihopsparade pengar som skulle bli resa eller diskmaskin eller annat stort och kul fick bli elräkningar.

    Men det där med skammen. VARFÖR?! Jag skäms också, jag liksom undviker att säga till folk att jag är arbetslös. Jag vill inte stöta på bekanta på stan och säga att det är så. Nej jag tog studieuppehåll men nej, jag har inte kommit längre och nej, det är jag inte nöjd med.

    Kram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fast det kanns trakigt att du kanner som jag, sa kanns det anda jatte skont att veta att jag inte ar ensam. Friheten ar ocksa nagot jag varderar men tyvarr racker den ju bara til en viss grans da man anda tillslut maste kunna betala hyran. Ar i samma bat vad det galler pengar som skulle gatt til huskop. Verkligen trist!

    Men du, det kommer att ordna sig! Vi som anda ar kompetenta manniskor KOMMER att fa jobb tillslut. Om jag lart mig nagot av det har sa ar det ju iallafall att vara mindre fordommande mot arbetslosa an jag kanske tidigare varit. Jag onskar dig verkligen lycka till och kommer att fortsatta folja din blog med spanning. Kram

    ReplyDelete