Friday, July 13, 2012

Parent Power

Recently, a woman standing in line at a fast food place turned around and punched a six week old baby because it was screaming. The baby was ok, but I couldn't help but ask myself what I would have done in that situation. Like most parents, I didn't have to ponder this very long. Despite seeing myself as someone who is generally against violence, there is a high chance that I would have landed anyone laying a finger on my baby girl in the ER. I asked Andrew what he would have done and his response was similar. We also agreed that in the U.S. court system it would be difficult to find a jury to convict you for assault, since half of the jurors would be likely to have children of their own. There is just something extremely powerful about parents who are standing up for their children. Personally, I  have a hard time actually picturing anything that would be able to stop me if Inara was in danger. Bottom line, if you want to live to see another day, don't mess with my kid.  

On a brighter note, we've been picking a ton of different berries this summer. Wild strawberries (smultron), strawberries, currants, and today blueberries. Some pictures from the excursions:

Wild strawberries


Currants

Happy in the blueberry forest.


We put them in the bucket and she ate them.


Nom nom.

Looking at a spider.

Blueberry hands.

The days haul.



2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the book "No Blueberries for Sal." But I'm thinking you did not encounter a bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, there are no bears on the island. Or any larger predators than fox for that matter, so berry picking is pretty safe. I will look the book up!

    ReplyDelete